As more people take a holistic approach to their health and well being, the same approach is being taken for dogs. Our furry friends are a lot like us. As dogs age, different health issues may start to arise.
Aching joints, less energy and certain ailments affect different breeds of dogs. Even from a young age, like our children, dogs need to learn to enjoy healthy foods, be regularly groomed, exercise regularly and be offered stimulation to keep their minds active and their bodies in tip top condition.
Veterinarian, Camille Brandt from Orchard Hills Veterinary Hospital has noticed this spotlight on health and wellness for our pets. In particular, there is an increased focus by dog owners on the prevention of injury and ailments, and caring for the general well being of their dogs.
“I am getting more requests these days for natural alternatives when it comes to a dog’s health” explains Camille.
“There are many natural alternatives available that can be used to treat a number of diseases including: gastrointestinal disease, allergies, arthritis, behaviour and liver disease. The natural alternatives can be used alone or in conjunction with other therapies, to enhance the well being and longevity of your pet.”
If you are looking to adopt a dog into the family, Camille suggests you understand what health issues that breed could experience over the years and how you can help prevent the onset of these ailments.
Other health and wellness tips Camille offers her clients include:
- Keep the yearly vaccinations up to date to avoid preventable contagious diseases.
- Regular intestinal worming to ensure the health of your pet and minimise the spread of intestinal worms to family members.
- Regular heart worm prevention to prevent this deadly disease.
- Regular flea control to minimise skin irritation and reduce allergies.
- Feed a good quality diet which is a complete and balanced diet to support good health.
- Regular exercise and interaction with your pet to support physical well being and mental stimulation.
- Regular veterinary examinations to identify problem areas for early treatment.
What else do you do to keep on top of your dogs health and well being?
If your dog is suffering from aching joints, have you given Rose-Hip Vital Canine a try? Click here to find out what makes Rose-Hip Vital Canine so special.