Naturopath Tips: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been a home remedy for hundreds, maybe thousands of years, and is still used for all sorts of things including cleaning, health, beauty, weight loss and first aid (to name a few). Being a natural product it means no toxic load in your home and on your body!
Here are just a few great uses:
- Detoxification and weight loss is supported by drinking water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (ACV). This should be taken first thing in the morning then gradually build up to a couple of teaspoons or to your tolerance. You really do get used to the taste but it must be diluted due to its acetic acid content. Make it habit daily!
- Drink before meals to aid digestion – ACV assists your stomach to break down foods and helps with acid reflux
- Add honey and lemon to help with colds, sinus and nasal infections
- Gargle with ACV for throat problems.
- Lessens the pain of sunburn
- Makes your hair shiny
- Helps with dandruff when used as a hair rinse
- Kills the bacteria on your skin that causes acne to grow
- For cleaning, it is a strong antibacterial cleaner
- Use cheaper distilled white vinegar on your windows
- When cleaning the bathroom, add to your bucket for mopping and toss it in the toilet.
Our grandparents used vinegar for a multitude of things before we started believing that only expensive chemically -produced products were superior.
Be sure to buy organic, unfiltered and unprocessed apple cider vinegar for ingestion which looks murky and brown. Check with your health professional if you decide to start taking it as it can clash with certain medications including diuretics, laxatives, diabetic and heart medications.
Get back to basics, save some money and improve your health while you are at it!
Do you have any favourite ways you use apple cider vinegar in your home?